Eye on Your Kids Social Media Accounts:
The Internet is accessible with smartphones and other devices finding their way into younger hands. While this accessibility provides benefits, threats, and dangers. More than 65% of kids have visited an inappropriate website accidentally. As a parent, you should protect your kid from the inappropriate website. 92% of teenagers(age 13 to 17) report going online daily. 24% say they go online “almost constantly”
Some important points:
- 30% have a basic phone.
- Only 12% of teens say they have no cell phone of any type.
- 91% of teens go online from mobile devices at least occasionally.
- Among teens that go online from mobile devices, 94% go online daily.
- More than 65% of kids have visit inappropriate site.
- More than 25% of kids have been cyberbullied.
- Only 10% of these incidences were reported to parents.
Kids Social media behavior:
- Teenagers age 13 to 17 use facebook.
- 71% teenagers use Facebook.
- 52% teenagers use Instagram.
- 41% teenagers use Snapchat.
- 33% teenagers use Twitter.
- 22% teenagers log onto social media more than 9 times in a day.
- 12% teens say they witnessed unpleasant behavior frequently on social media.
- 67% teenagers say that they know how to hide what they do online from their parents.
Tips to monitor your kids:
- Keep your computer in a central location. Locate the family computer in a high traffic zone, like the kitchen.
- allow cell phone usage at certain hours.
- No one under the age of 13 is permitted to join Facebook, though it is not enforceable by facebook.
- set your own house rules and make sure kids abide by them
- check the privacy settings of each social media and set them to private